Itâ€™s no wonder that January is National Hot Tea Month, National Oatmeal Month, and National Soup Month. Itâ€™s cold. Itâ€™s also the time of year when people go on diets and start exercising more frequently. If your New Yearâ€™s Resolution was to lose weight or improve your health, or if you just want your belly to be warm and happy, the advice du jour is to eat soup. Eating more soup is an effective way to lose weight for the following reasons:
- Soup is more filling because of the water content. That is, itâ€™s more filling because it is both food and beverage at once.
- As such, it fills up the stomach more quickly than dry food, thereby satiating our hunger hormones.
- Soup consists of the following elements:
- Liquidâ€”broth, stock, whether store-bought or homemade, whether chicken, beef, seafood, or vegetable-flavored. Water, milk, evaporated milk, or cream. For best flavor and most health benefits, homemade broth is best.
- Aromaticsâ€”onions, garlic, and herbs.
- Vegetablesâ€”donâ€™t be shy.
- Proteinâ€”chicken, beef, pork, seafood, beans, tofu, quinoa. Grainsâ€”barley, brown rice, quinoa, lentils.
- Avoid pasta for weight loss. White-flour pasta has empty carbohydrates; it has no nutritional value. â€œGoodâ€ carbohydrates havenâ€™t been stripped of their nutrients and can actually be very helpful with weight-loss because they fill you up.
Whatâ€™s in Season? (January 2016)
Apples, cabbage, herbs, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, pears, leeks, carrots, beans (dry), beets, onions, winter squash
Cheese, spices, baked goods, arts & antiques & collectibles, wine, meats, kitchen supplies, electronics